[Editor’s Note – UPDATED – The answers have been appended to the questions below. And at the very bottom, you’ll find the leaderboard – which has been updated to include all contestants (including Facebook friends). There will now be 3 prizes awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Round 2 questions will be posted Wednesday December 10, 2008 by 8:00 a.m. EST]
And so it begins.
As I mentioned the other day, the rules are simple.
Every other business day (starting today) I will post a series of 10 trivia questions. Anyone who would like to participate can simply ‘Ring In’ by leaving a Comment below along the lines of “I’m In” or “OB1 and Done, baby”. Then e-mail me your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org. After each round’s deadline expires, I’ll post the results and we’ll move on to the next round.
As the actual party was so loud, not many people heard these questions unless you were on the hot seat and perched two inches away from my bellowing pie hole. Therefore, this little contest is fair game to anyone who wants to submit answers below.
Now, as this is the wild, wild web, I know the answers are just a Google away. I’m going to get a pop culture-themed prize and display the winner’s name (and Mii likeness) on this site at the conclusion of all six rounds, so if you cheat, you cheat me. And yourself. Oh, and your children. Your dogs and cats. And anyone who ever looked you square in the eye and declared you a kind, decent human. Hell – you cheat America and right now, America needs you more than ever you lowdown, dirty Canadian.
Yup, you Google Gizmo and you’re basically dead to us all.
The last note – as my faithful readers can attest, I like to keep these posts visually interesting by sprinkling them with photos. I plan on posting photos with each question but in the case of multiple-choice questions, the photo displayed is not necessarily indicative of the winning answer. It just means I found a photo I liked. Also, in the instance where a photo would truly spoil a question, I’ll just post some random holiday-themed shot.
Onto Round 1. (Note – Round 1 entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST Monday December 8, 2008).
1. If Santa were to come down the chimney and find the “jolliest bunch of a$$holes” since “Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny ‘F%#king’ Kaye”, whose house would he be in?
(Answer – The Griswolds)
2. In Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, name one of the three characters who Jack sends to “kidnap Mr. Sandy Claws”.
(Answer – Lock, Shock or Barrel)
Correct – Joe, Jason, Sean, Rob
Incorrect – Justin, Stacy, Aunt Sharon, Chris
3. What video game series featured a sinister snowman named Bad Mister Frosty?
a. Street Fighter
c. Mortal Kombat
d. The Simpsons Tag Team Wrestling
(Answer – B Clayfighter)
Correct – Joe, Jason, Sean, Rob, Chris, Aunt Sharon
Incorrect – Justin, Stacy
4. In the movie Scrooged, what appliance does “the bitch” (or Ghost of Christmas Present) hit Frank Cross in the head with?
(Answer – A New Toaster)
Correct – Jason, Justin, Sean, Rob, Chris, Aunt Sharon
Incorrect – Joe, Stacy
5. On the Island of Misfit Toys, what is the squirt gun’s problem?
(Answer – He Shoots Jelly)
Correct – Joe, Jason, Justin, Rob, Aunt Sharon
Incorrect – Sean, Chris, Stacy
6. Who actually gifts Ralphie with his Holy Grail, an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle?
(Answer – His Dad)
Correct – Joe, Jason, Sean, Rob, Chris, Stacy, Aunt Sharon
Incorrect – Justin
7. Which of these is NOT the title of an animated holiday special?
a. A Bloom County Christmas
b. B.C. A Special Christmas
c. Beavis and Butthead Do Christmas
d. He-Man and She-Ra: A Christmas Special
(Answer – A, Bloom County – and there are apparently a lot of Bloom County Fans out
there who say they would have been pissed if there was A Bloom County Christmas
and they missed it.)
Correct – Joe, Justin, Sean, Rob, Chris, Aunt Sharon
Incorrect – Jason, Stacy
8. Which one of these actors has never played an elf?
a. Will Ferrell
c. Danny DeVito
d. Bob Newhart
(Answer – C, Danny DeVito)
Correct – Joe, Jason, Justin, Sean, Rob, Chris, Aunt Sharon, Stacy
Incorrect – Nobody. You guys sure know your midgets errr, vertically challenged.
9. What ‘holiday’ movie features the following line:
“The bulk of the heroin will be here Friday night, we’ll make delivery at that time. Have the money ready, and no tricks. If you try anything… you’ll have to talk to Mr. Joshua. Merry Christmas.”
(Answer – Lethal Weapon)
Correct – Sean, Rob, Chris,
Incorrect – Jason, Justin, Joe, Stacy, Aunt Sharon
10. What comedy duo offers a beer as one of the gifts during “The Twelve Days of Christmas”?
(Answer – Bob and Doug McKenzie)
Correct – Joe, Justin, Sean, Rob, Chris, Aunt Sharon, Stacy
Incorrect – Jason (this was a tough one but I couldn’t accept, “those guys in Strange Brew)
1. Rob M (10)
2. Sean O (9)
3. Joe D/Aunt Sharon/Matt D (8)
4. Jason(Poe)/Chris K/Steven K (7)
5. Justin S/George A/Brian M (6)
6. Stacy S/Tracy M (4)
7. Dan M (1)